Reconstruction of the existing and construction of the second track on the section Hrvatski Leskovac – Karlovac on the railway line M202 Zagreb Main Station – Rijeka

Section Hrvatski Leskovac – Karlovac (44.0 km) is an integral part of the main corridor railway line for international traffic M202 Zagreb Main Station – Rijeka on the corridor RH2 and is also part of the section Rijeka – Zagreb – Budapest on the Mediterranean corridor.

On 27 December 2019 HŽ Infrastruktura d.o.o. signed the Grant Agreement KK. as part of the Operational Program “Competitiveness and Cohesion” 2014 – 2020 (OPCC) from the Cohesion Fund with the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure (MSTI) and Central Finance and Contracting Agency (CFCA). The value of the Grant Agreement is EUR 458.5 million, and the total eligible costs amount to EUR 361.1 million, which is the maximum amount for project co-financing, of which EUR 307.0 million or 85 percent is co-financed by OPCC, and the remaining amount of EUR 54.2 million or 15 percent is co-financed from the State Budget of the Republic of Croatia.

The Project implementation period according to the Grant Agreement is 11/2018 – 12/2023.

The Grant Agreement covers the following activities:

  1. Project management
  2. Publicity and visibility
  3. Works
  4. Supervision
  5. Additional costs (contingencies)
  6. Land acquisition

On 28 July 2022 HŽ Infrastruktura signed Works contract for civil engineering and electrical power subsystem with a consortium consisting of STRABAG d.o.o., STRABAG AG and STRABAG Rail a.s. in the amount of EUR 227.4 million.

On 28 July 2022, HŽ Infrastruktura d.o.o. signed Works contract for traffic-control and signalling and interlocking subsystem with the company AŽD Praha s.r.o. in the amount of EUR 35.0 million.

On 15 June 2022 HŽ Infrastruktura d.o.o. signed Service contract for supervision of works with a consortium consisting of YÜKSEL PROJE ANONIM ŞIRKETI, “PPG” Društvo za projektovanje i gradenje d.o.o. and MOBILITA EVOLVA d.o.o. in the amount of EUR 4.7 million.

The implementation of the works will adapt the section Hrvatski Leskovac – Karlovac for the maximum permitted speed of 160 km/h, except in the area of Mavračići, Jastrebarsko and Karlovac, where it will be 120 and 140 km/h, respectively, due to space limitations. With the Project implementation the current single-track electrified line 25 kV AC 50 Hz will become double track. The competitiveness of the Port of Rijeka will also increase by improving its traffic connections with the markets of Central Europe. Also, the Project will contribute to the improvement of suburban transport in the cities of Zagreb and Karlovac.

As part of the Project, the following works are planned:

  • reconstruction of 3 stations: Hrvatski Leskovac, Jastrebarsko and Karlovac
  • conversion of 3 stations into stops: Horvati, Zdenčina (stop/freight forwarding) and Draganići
  • reconstruction of 4 existing stops Mavračići, Desinec, Domagovići and Lazine
  • extension of the useful track length in stations to 750 m
  • installation of a new ETCS level 1 electronic signalling and interlocking device and a new control-command subsystem with remote control of external elements, electrification system of 25 kV/50 Hz, reconstruction of the electric traction substation Mrzlo Polje and Zdenčina
  • construction of 3 new underpasses and 4 new overpasses with associated roads instead of level crossings
  • construction of new underpasses due to the elimination of existing level crossings
  • reconstruction of the specific existing level crossings
  • construction of noise barriers
  • construction of a closed drainage system
  • reconstruction of all existing bridges, viaducts and other facilities on the section.

For more information about the project please contact

Signing of the Grant Contract
Skip to content