Project of securing and modernization of level crossings

This Project will secure and modernize 94 level crossings and 1 pedestrian crossing on the lines for international, regional and local traffic.

On 1 February 2021 HŽ Infrastruktura d.o.o., signed the Grant Agreement KK. as part of the Operational Program “Competitiveness and Cohesion” 2014 – 2020 (OPCC) from the Cohesion Fund with the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure (MSTI) and Central Finance and Contracting Agency (CFCA). The value of the Grant Agreement is EUR 27.7 million, and the total eligible costs amount to EUR 22.3 million, which is the maximum amount for co-financing the eligible costs of the Project, of which EUR 18.9 million, or 85 percent is co-financed by OPCC, and the remaining amount, EUR 3.3 million, or 15 percent, is co-financed from the State Budget of the Republic of Croatia.

The Project implementation period according to the Grant Agreement is 11/2018 – 12/2023.

The signed Grant Agreement covers the following activities:

  1. Project management
  2. Publicity and visibility
  3. Works
  4. Supervision
  5. Additional costs (contingencies)

On the 10 February 2023 HŽ Infrastruktura signed Works contract for 68 level-crossings and 1 pedestrian crossing with the company ALTPRO d.o.o. in the amount of EUR 11.3 million.

On March 6, 2023, HŽ Infrastruktura signed Service contract for supervision of works for 68 level-crossings and 1 pedestrian crossing with a consortium consisting of MOBILITA EVOLVA d.o.o. and MOBILITA VISION d.o.o. in the amount of EUR 0.3 million.

The goals of the Project are to reduce the dangers arising from the intersection of two separate transport systems (railway lines and roads), increase the safety level at level-crossings, reduce the number of traffic accidents and by the same token reduce the number of the casualties as well as the costs caused by traffic accidents.

With the implementation of the works, all crossings will be equipped with automatic electronic signalling and safety devices that for the safe flow of traffic use light signals in LED technology and loud bells, while at 79 level-crossings, in addition to the mentioned devices, half- barriers will be installed.

For more information about the project please contact

Skip to content