The Gradec – Sveti Ivan Žabno line is the first newly constructed railway line in Croatia after 52 years, designed for a speed of 120 km/h, a line intended for local transport, and with the aim to bring the Town of Bjelovar and the Bjelovar region closer to the City of Zagreb and to better connect Bjelovar-Bilogora, Koprivnica-Križevci and Zagreb county. Suburban trains on the line have provided the residents of the region with faster and better daily opportunities of commuting to work and school.
Works on construction of the new railway began in December 2015.
The line was put into service on December 15, 2019 with a new train timetable for 2019/2020.
The Project has provided for the construction of a single-track, non-electrified 12.2 km long railway line intended for suburban traffic. During the design the of the project, the profiles of the track section were defined in a way that it can be electrified in the future. Railway line Gradec – Sveti Ivan Žabno is designed for a speed of 120 km/h (with the exception of the first curve after the Gradec stop which is designed for a speed of 100 km/h) and for an axle mass of 22,5 t and 8 t/m.
The value of the Project is EUR 34.4 million. Of this, EUR 28.5 million relates to the financing of works and supervision, and the remaining EUR 5.9 million relates to the design, land acquisition, payment of fees for issuance of permits. The project is co-financed by EU funds from the Regional Development Fund and the Cohesion Fund.
The Project of the construction of the new railway line Gradec – Sveti Ivan Žabno has included the following:
- construction of the substructure and the permanent way with embankments, cuttings, railway drainage and level crossings
- construction of three overpasses, three underpasses and one bridge
- reconstruction of national, local and county roads in the length of 1.3 km
- construction of the new connecting and bypass roads, field and forest paths in the length of about 9 km
- construction of three railway stops with shelters and parking lots for passanger cars in Lubena, Remetinec Križevački and Haganj
- reconstruction of the Gradec stop building and of the existing Sveti Ivan Žabno station, where a new station building with parking lots for cars and bicycles was also built
- installation of signalling, interlocking and telecommunication devices in accordance with railway line requirements of importance for local traffic
- construction of energy connections and external and internal lighting
- construction of noise protection barriers.
The Project was implemented through following contracts:
- Works Contract in the amount of HRK 193.5 million, signed on August 26, 2015 with the consortium Comsa, S.A.U. from Spain and H. F. Wiebe GmbH & CO.KG from Germany, with a final contracted value of HRK 195.6 million.
- Works Supervision Contract in the amount of HRK 9.9 million, signed on August 26, 2015 with the Consortium SGS Adriatica d.o.o. and Investinženjering d.o.o. from Croatia and SGS S.A. from Switzerland, and the final contracted value of Supervision is HRK 12.8 million