Modernization and electrification of the Zaprešić – Zabok railway line

 

The project includes modernization of the Zaprešić – Zabok section. This is a section of the Zagorje line, leading to Čakovec with a regional character (R201 Zaprešić – Bedekovčina – Čakovec) and plays an important role in passenger transport in the area of Zagreb agglomeration. For the project, which eligible project costs have been estimated at HRK 614.4 million, 85 per cent financing will be secured under the Cohesion fund by means of the Operational Programme Competitiveness and Cohesion 2014 – 2020. The remaining 15 per cent of project value will be financed from national funds.

The section stretches across two counties, Zagreb and Krapina-Zagorje, and the project encompasses the following interventions on the 23.85 km long section:

  • Construction line parameters will improve the design construction speed up to 120 km/h maximum. Some line curves will be reconstructed, i.e. the existing train path will be moved to 6 km of line in total, which will reduce journey times of passenger trains by around 30 per cent (from current 39 – 44 min to 28 min), and by around 50 per cent for express trains (from current 31 min to 14 min).
  • The line will be electrified.
  • The stations Novi Dvori, Luka, Veliko Trgovišće and Zabok will be reconstructed, which means that new platforms will be built (with at least 160 m usable lengths), subways, canopies, parking spaces, reconstruction of station buildings, separation of Zabok station into parts for passengers and freight, construction of a new building to accommodate signalling and interlocking and telecommunication devices, and an office for operating staff at Zabok station.
  • At Pojatno, Kupljenovo and Žeinci stops, new platforms, canopies and parking spaces will be built.
  • At stations and stops, a video surveillance system and audio notification for passengers will be secured.
  • New signalling and interlocking, and telecommunication devices, as well as traffic remote control devices will be installed on the section in order to secure preconditions for faster, but also safer train operations.
  • 15 level crossings will be modernized by modern automatic protection and synthetic flooring, four crossings will be redirected to neighbouring crossings by a connecting road, one will be cancelled, in order to increase maximum permitted speed of train operation and line capacity, as well as safety level at the intersection of railway lines and roads.
  • Completely new track structures will be built or reconstructed, such as four new reinforced concrete bridges Vučerna, Lužki potok, Črnec and Horvacka, and Horvacka road bridge. For drainage purposes 35 culverts will be set up and canals, and abutments/supporting walls where necessary.
  • Considering the fact that electric motor trains will be operating to Zabok, this will contribute to environment protection, by reducing gas emissions and noise decrease. A grant agreement to secure funds for financing of eligible costs was signed on November 9, 2017 by the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, HŽ Infrastruktura and the Central Finance and Contracting Agency (CFCA). The time of project implementation is until the end of 2021.

Grant agreement securing funds for eligible project cost financing was signed on November 9, 2017, by the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, HŽ Infrastruktura and the Central Finance and Contracting Agency (CFCA). Project implementation duration is until the end of 2021.

Works contract for the project of modernization and electrification of the Zaprešić – Zabok line section in the amount of HRK 530,655,163.07 was signed on June 12, 2018 by HŽ Infrastruktura with SWIETELSKY d.o.o.

Works’ supervision contract in the amount of HRK 13,475,811.97 was signed on June 28, 2018, with DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH from Germany.

More than two thirds of the works on the project have been carried out, and the railway line on the Zaprešić – Zabok section, as well as the stations and stops have for a while already given the impression of a European, modern railway. Works are being carried out on the installation of a load bearing layer of asphalt in parking lots at stations and stops, completion of Horvacka bridge construction, lining of watercourses under Horvacka bridge and drainage along the section. Works on the rehabilitation of the station building in Zabok are being completed. Overhead contact line has been installed on the entire section. Work is underway on laying track cables, installing signals, point mechanisms and turnout heaters, connecting internal signalling and interlocking equipment in stations, installation of houses and connecting equipment in the automatic block houses.

For further information, please contact: korporativne.komunikacije@hzinfra.hr

Works